There are many pros and cons to working from home, some of which are completely personal to your situation.
You need to sit down and make a list of your own pros and cons and see which side is weighted most heavily before you start.
First, let’s look at some of the pros of working from home that you may or may not have considered.
They may be what you expected or they may not be.
You can likely add to this list for yourself so that you can determine what’s best for your situation.
- Seriously, you might not want to do that, but you can.
- If you work from home you can dress however you desire that makes you the most creative.
- Whether that’s in your jammies, naked, or in a suit it doesn’t matter you’re in charge.
- It can be very difficult to fit in exercise and eating right when you work under someone else’s clock.
- But, with your own timeline you can schedule your work the way that helps you eat right and exercise.
Spending Time with Your Children
- One of the most important reasons why moms choose to work from home is avoiding childcare for their kids and spending more time with them.
Never Missing Important Things
- You can use your calendar to your advantage when you work for yourself from home.
- You can ensure that you don’t miss important milestones, meetings and events in your children’s, family and friend’s lives.
Being with your family on your own terms is certainly a positive reason to work from home and one of the biggest pros that there is to having a home business.
But, it’s important to be aware of the detractors too.
Some of these cons might surprise you, but like the pros, you may be able to add to the list on your own.
Some things can’t be generalized and might be dependent upon what you see as a pro or a con in your own life.
Communication with Contractors Is Harder
- When you’re at work everyone else is too, so it’s easy to work with your team.
- But, as a Work At Home business owner you’ll be working with other business owners to get things done on their timeline.
- This can be frustrating.
It’s Easy to Get Too Comfortable
- When you work from home no one is standing over you telling you what to do and when.
- You have to be entirely self-motivated to ensure that you make money.
Some People Won’t See You As a Professional
- Unfortunately, there are people out there who will immediately look down on you because you have a home office.
- You’ll have to simply ignore them and demonstrate your worth.
Even Your Spouse Won’t Support You
- This is harsh, but it is a reality.
- Many times spouses just don’t get it at all.
- The best way to deal with this is to create good books to demonstrate to your spouse your projections.
- As they say “show them the money” and they’ll come on board.
Paying attention to the pros and cons of starting a work from home business as a mom is very important.
You can’t sugar coat it in your mind. You have to start a business with your eyes wide open in a realistic manner.
Working from home is a wonderful answer to the problems that mothers experience with child care, flexibility on the job and more but you have to take it seriously.